Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Summer Intern Dress Code

Ahh summer. Time for the interns to invade our offices. Schools work so hard to prepare these kids to do these interns  - lectures on how to behave and work hard. They even say dress in business attire. But like the whisper game, the kids hear the words "business attire," but what comes out is not always business attire (you know those boring clothes - yuk).

I managed to overcome my issue with flip flops. I don't do it, but since everyone else seems to wear flip flops in the summer - I got over it. But spaghetti straps? SHORTS? Really? At Bear Stearn's, they had no qualms sending home girls in spaghetti straps and no bras. Try seating an 18-yr old nubile babe with no bra in air conditioning next to a middle-aged dad in a mature marriage. Recipe for disaster. They can't concentrate and I'm sure their wives appreciated the efforts by HR. The girls always had that blank look of - what? This isn't ok? It's J Crew. They had no idea what the effect of all the young skin was having on these guys.

Last week, an intern came to our office wearing short shorts. Strangely, I was the only one who noticed. I guess that's why I feel old. Plus, it really bothered me. This isn't a stuffy wall street banking firm, but it's still an office. In my opinion, shorts are never a choice when you go to an office unless its maybe Google. Maybe Bermuda shorts, long capris? But short shorts? NO NO NO.

I debated over whether I should say something. She didn't work for me. No one else seemed to notice. Would she complain to HR that I wasn't minding my own business? Would she leave and then get the person she worked for mad at me? Would I humiliate her? Would she appreciate being told this was inappropriate ?
In the end, I did nothing. I asked someone else what they thought and described my hand wringing. She wrung her hands with me. Should we - as women - tell younger girls - hey this is inappropriate. Or should we sit back and quietly count our grey hairs as short shorts become common business attire?

No comments:

Post a Comment